About Me

My photo
Some days I wake up feeling 60 and other days I wake up feeling 6. So if your within that age group .. we can relate.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

For conversation, just add water

As i was wading barefoot through knee deep murky brown flood water, holding my slippers in one hand and balancing my umbrella in the other, all i was thinking 

you have got to be kidding me.

I mean i have never seen flood in my whole life.

Read about it, yes, watched it on the news of, course i have.

But experience it ?

I live happily on top of a hill in subang jaya. To me flooding is when there are puddles on my lawn after heavy rain.

Yet here i am my jeans folded up to my thighs, waking barefoot on the street in the middle of town to go to the bus stop.

I don't even want to think of how i look. a psychotic paddy farmer sorry had to draw a mental image 

Urgh, i think i just stepped on something mushy. 

Nastyyyy

Dontthinkaboutit.dontthinkaboutit.

OH MY GOD the people on the other street are actually on a perahu.

I wonder i could get a fold up one to fit in my backpack.

SHIT i don't have the hands to take a goddam picture.

Hmmm if i dropped my slippers and grabbed my camera would the slippers float away ?

Better not. need to use them next sem

Damm the water is the colour of the nescafe peng i had for breakfast

dontthinkdontthinkdontthink

God if your listening i will start going to temple more , just please dont let me fall into the water the last thing i need is my laptop to drown on its one month anniversary with me. Si Putih i love you <3 class="blsp-spelling-corrected" id="SPELLING_ERROR_15">christened it such.It's white.I'm not creative. go figure. 

I see the bags from the bag shop floating away, the owner desperately catching them before they get too far.

The restaurant owner beside is closing up his shop and i see the chairs in his shop slowly bobbing in the water

A little bit. more. reached the bus stop. 

phew.

Got on the bus. 

my feet looks like a wrinkled prune.

gross.gross.gross.

Now sitting comfortably on the bus, i look out my window n see nothing but water water and watery water

Seriously it looked like Sibu town was drowning in front of my very eyes.

As the journey continues the mak cik next to me taps my shoulders and gestures the the window on the right side

I see a Kancil nearly completely submerged in water

i gawped .

I turned to the window on my side and saw half of the school bursting with water from every nook n cranny.

Mak Cik, look.

now She gawped.

Basically the rest of the journey continued with us looking at something or rather and gesturing to one another Look ! Look!

It was like being on a Flood safari

But seriously it was terrible, most people couldnt even get out of their houses. 

Those who were desperate walked in waters that were waist high

I nervously fiddle with my camera, if i take pictures will i look too touristy?

But really wanted to capture what i saw. 

Then i see the boys 3 seats away taking a video of everything. hmm the thing will probably be uploaded on youtube faster then you can say floodwhat? hey if they can do it, so can i

I turn on my camera. Battery flashes in red.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. forgot to charge it.

the rest of the journey continues with the mak cik telling me how the flood in her area is so bad they have to get in and out of the house by lorry.


The flood situation here is really bad. For me this is just another anecdote i would tell my friends when i get back. 

But to the people living here. its something they have to go through everyday. year after year. again and again during the rainy season.

Wadding in water  to go to work, school, home . 

how can you concentrate when your Clothes is wet, body stinky, feet pruned. 

Listening to people explain to me the clean up they have to go through after the floods hits their homes. floors caked in mud.water seeping into electrical items and spoiling them. furniture's covered in muck. watching their white wash walls painted in brown.

I cant imagine coming back and seeing my house in that state

Blame it on poor drainage. swampy lands. bad infrastructure. Rain

You name it the people have said it. At the end of the day fact remains something needs to be done.

I think half of the stories I've been writing since the beginning of this year have something or rather to do with the floods.

I hear it from my colleagues, random people i talk to, the people i interview....

Most of the conversations I've been having begins with 

"hujan manyak teruk haaaa'

its either that or

"lumah lu ada banjir kaaaa"

Yup for conversation, just add water.

So far its been quite a diluted 09' for the people in Sarawak. With flood situations getting from ok to bad to worst then ok again. What i saw was just in the town. My colleague who stays in a longhouse at the interior region cant even get out of his house. and in some parts of Bintulu water levels are up too 12 feet.

But all is not lost, the government has promised a new  137 million flood mitigation project to alleviate the problem, and the local council here has assured and reassured the people that steps will be take to lessen the flooding problems, upgrading the drains etc..etc...

That's good right ?

Thing is , the people here said they heard the same promises last year.

Oh.

Well let s hope for the best shall we.

But till then the mak cik i met on the bus will get on a lorry to get out of her house.

and i will go to work tomorrow and write another flood story.


"No individual raindrop ever considers itself responsible for the flood"
-Chinese Saying-


p/s : Just needed to get this off my chest. Sorry for the lack of updates since i got here . things have been crazy but great. Will write a proper post one once I'm done with work finishing on 14feb wohoooo !

pp/s : HAPPY NEW YEAR !

ppp/s : I miss you, you, you, especially you oh n not forgetting you, oh what the heck i miss you as well :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

MaL said...

hahaha ur question made my day! trust me i'm finding for one too. if i find one i'll tell you :)